About Me

My Photo
Lillian-Juda Leonard-Beach
I am a Blogger, web & graphic designer, girlfriend, student, model, nurses aid, night owl, friend of 420, activist, Catholic, Buddhist, yoga follower, survivalist, friend, daughter, Canadian, Atlantan, strawberry blonde spaz, with a kind heart.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, June 14, 2010

Meditation Monday - Guided Root Chakra Meditation

Ok so, I have decided to start a small linky on Mondays called, Meditation Monday. I know everyone has the kids running around now that's schools out so this will be a short, weekly post, followed by a video, and summed up with things to keep in mind or tips. Each post will be a daily way to relive stress and live better in under 15 mins.
Everyone is welcome to join the linky. The only thing I ask is you make a post about something to do with meditation, yoga, mental exercise, ect. And that you post the Meditation Monday button on the post. (code provided) No video is required for linky posts.
Now on to this week's Meditation Monday.


the mini Beach bird - Meditation Monday

Week 2 - Root Chakra Meditation and Cleansing


 For those who are new to meditation (which I think most of my readers are), I am going to try and explain the best I can. If you ever have any questions or need help, please feel free to leave a comment with your email and I will try to get back to you asap.

When practicing your daily meditation, it is important to be able to set aside your "here and now" life and your meditation life. Now, I know your thinking, Yeah, well you don't have kids lady. and I know it will sound very daunting, but it is a very important aspect of meditation, and often if you are successful in you endeavor to separate these two lives, your meditation will most likely be deeper and more helpful to you.

I am not saying, if you can't do it at all, don't do it. Really, if you can practice meditation at all, your doing better than a lot of people.

Now, with that being said, we will now look into Chakra Meditation


What is a Chakra?
Charkra - Chakras are energy centers. They function like receivers and transformers of the various forms of prana.
Prana - Prana is the life sustaining force which pervades all living organisms and the universe.

So... Chakras are energy centers of the body, whose purpose is to even out energy and life forces threw out the body. When you practice chakra meditation, what your really doing is taking all of the stagnant or stuck energy in these "centers" and pushing it threw, into different areas or chakras, creating a good energy field threw out the entire body.


Generally, you look at the chakras from bottom to top. There are seven (7) main body chakras. (The rest are for the advanced category, and I don't even know them all) We are going to look at the first seven, then you should have enough knoledge to expand into the other five on your own.
For more info on all seven, click here.

The first chakra is the Root. This is also know as the: First Chakra, and the Muladhara. The root chakra is located at the base of the spine at the tailbone in back, and the pubic bone in front. This chakra generally "holds" the information and human drive for safety and survival. 


I've found a good way of thinking about chakras is to think of them as personality traits, almost. If a person has a very strong root chakra, they will most likely come off as being very grounded, as if they have a good idea of what's going on in the world around them. This might be because the root chakra is thought to be a connection between you and the ground or earth energy.

Now to get the energy flowing in this chakra, simply:


  1. Sit is lotus posistion. (Often know as indian-style or cross-legged.)
  2. Relax your entire body.
  3. Place your hands, palm facing the sky, on your knees. (Hands should be just laid on your knees)
  4. Remember to stay as relaxed as possible.
  5. Take five deep, long, engaging breathes. See my post Breathing to relieve stress)
  6. Now click play! She will explain more in the video. (First 2 mins are guided meditation, then 2 mins of relaxation music, followed up by beach noises. Total length is 5 mins and 45 sec.) I strongly suggest completing the entire video for meditation.


Now that you've watched the video, do you feel any better?

Chakra meditation is something you should always do for yourself. It is important to try and meditate as often as possible, especially with our hectic lives, but it's not something to stress about.

Meditation tip:
Many people like to use colored candles in chakra meditation. For this meditation look for a fire-engine red or mahogany colored candle.

Light the candle and sit it in front of you. While sitting in lotus position, stare at the candle, floating in and out to the image of the flame while breathing. If you would like to use a scented candle I would suggest cinnamon.



Futher Reading: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chakras by Betsy Rippentrop

Anyone who knows me and my bookshelf will tell you I am an idiots or dummies guide junkie. I think they are a wonderful start for people who are just generally confused on a subject. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chakras  is no different. I bought this book for my boyfriend Jo, and he loves it. 
It provides a wonderful explanation on how to get started in your chakra meditation journey. 
My Grade:
A+++ Perfect for the meditation idiot in all of us.


2 comments:

sheila said...

Cool new meme! I hope you don't mind but I used an older post. And put your link on it. I'll try to remember each monday though!

Betsy (zen-mama.com) said...

Very nice! I just tried it and feel relaxed and a little sleepy.

Post a Comment